What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese healing technique in which the therapist can channel “life force energy” (Ki) into the patient, to activate the natural healing processes of the patient’s body and restore physical and emotional well-being.
What are Chakras?
The chakras act as points of connection between our physical and non-physical bodies, enabling energies to flow from one of these vehicles of manifestation to the other. They are the means by which we absorb energy from and externalize energy to the environment, and exchange energy with others. In Reiki, we often work with the chakras to clear your energy. There are many chakras related to the human body, but the seven most primary are:
- Crown: The Crown Chakra is associated with knowledge, consciousness and spiritual connection. The shadow aspect is attachment. How would you like to grow spiritually? What spiritual practices do you wish to invite into your life?
- Third Eye: The Third Eye is associated with intuition and imagination. The shadow aspect is illusion. In what ways do you honor your intellect and imagination? How will you continue to challenge and inspire yourself?
- Throat Chakra: The Throat Chakra is associated with communication and creative identity. The shadow aspect is lies and the inability to listen. How do you wish to express creativity in your life? How would you ideally like to be able communicate?
- Heart Chakra: The Heart Chakra is associated with compassion, self-acceptance, and healthy relationships. The shadow aspect is grief and co-dependency. What three aspects do you desire most in an intimate partner? How would this partner make you feel about yourself? What would this partner value the most about you?
- Solar Plexus: The Solar Plexus is associated with self-esteem, strength of will, vitality, and a sense of purpose. The shadow aspect is shame.What would fulfill you in terms of career? How do you dream of leaving your mark on the world?
- Sacral Chakra: The Sacral Chakra pertains to sexuality and emotions. In adulthood, this often manifests as intimate relationships. The shadow aspect is guilt. How do you want to feel about yourself sexually? What gives you the most pleasure in life? How would you like to feel about yourself?
- Root Chakra: The Root Chakra is related to basic feelings of safety, security (including having enough money), and body integrity. The shadow aspect is fear. What would make you feel safe and secure within yourself? What are your material desires?
How is Reiki different than other forms of spiritual healing?
Although Reiki energy is spiritual in nature, Reiki is not a religion. Practitioners are not asked to change any religious or spiritual beliefs they may have. They are free to continue believing anything they choose and are encouraged to make their own decisions concerning the nature of their religious practices.
Reiki energy comes from the Higher Power, which exists on a higher dimension than the physical world we are familiar with. When viewed clairvoyantly, Reiki energy appears to come down from above and to enter the top of the practitioners head after which if flows through the body and out the hands. However, the true source of Reiki energy is within ourselves. This does not mean that we use our personal energy when we do Reiki, but that the energy is coming from a transcendental part of ourselves that is connected to an infinite supply of healing energy.
What would we do in a Reiki session?
In a standard Reiki session, energy flows from the practitioners hands into the client (physical contact is not necessary for this). The client is usually laying on a massage table but “treatments” can also be given while the client is seated or even standing. The client remains fully clothed.
The practitioner places her/his hands near the clients body in a series of hand positions. These include positions around the head and shoulders, the stomach, and feet. Other, more specific positions may be used based on the clients needs. Each position is held for three to ten minutes depending on how much Reiki the client needs at each position.
Many Reiki practitioners practice in a style that is all their own. My approach incorporates a cleansing of all the chakras, as well as a disavowal of any karmic promises or contracts that my still be impacting your present incarnation.
We usually begin with an initial discussion of what brings you in, which may include a psycho-educational component. There will be a brief assessment and art exercise to examine your concerns, and establish your goals for the Reiki session. The session itself will follow the template of a traditional session as described above, but may include a guided visualization, or verbal interaction with the client, depending on the nature of the session.
What does Reiki feel like?
Feelings of deep relaxation are usually felt by all, after a Reiki session. In addition, many feel a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and surrounds them. As the Reiki energy encourages one to let go of all tension, anxiety, fear or other negative feelings a state of peace and well-being is experienced. Some drift off to sleep or report floating outside their bodies or have visions and other mystical experiences. At the end of the treatment, one feels refreshed with a more positive, balanced outlook.
What would be the time commitment and cost?
I do not provide strictly Reiki sessions. Instead, I incorporate this into my psychotherapeutic work. To learn more about what mindfulness-based, creative arts psychotherapy services I provide, please visit this page.